Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

"Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving." - WT Purkiser


I have been given a great gift by God this year - the gift of perspective.  Being in Kenya reminds me not only of the many blessings the Lord has given me but of the responsibility that I have to be a good steward of these gifts.  Among many orphanages nearby, I have had the privilege of being involved with one that is particularly in need.  This orphanage houses twenty-five children, many of whom were either abandoned or left orphaned after their parents died at a young age.  Several of the children are malnourished and suffer from HIV.  


Children and workers at the orphanage enjoying fun pics with the camera


Despite the difficult life that has been given them, these children are just like any other, wanting to belong, be loved, and have fun.  I am thankful that God has put them in my life to share His love.  A group of us went to bring them lunch, preparing a true Kenyan meal with chapati and mandazi (Kenyan donuts) for them.  It was wonderful to serve them and watch them enjoy every bite.  While it may not be the typical Thanksgiving spread we all overindulge on and often take for granted in the US, I cannot imagine a more thankful group of children as they sit on the grass and eat off of a frisbee that also functions as a plate...no grumbling, no whining.






I am extra thankful today.  I have so many material things, above and beyond what I could ever want or need.  A house with more than mud floors, heating, furniture, and a closet full of clothes.  A church that is more than one small room with electricity and cushioned seating.  A hospital with ample supplies and medicines to take care of patients.  Beyond material things, I have an incredible group of friends who support and encourage me on a daily basis.  I also have a family that has been by my side with never-ending and unconditional love.  While this past year has been very difficult for my family with my dad's diagnosis of lung cancer and my mom's struggle with early-onset dementia, I couldn't help but look at these orphaned children and rejoice for the many wonderful years I have had with my family, knowing that each day is a gift.  Above all, I am thankful for Jesus who sacrificed everything to give me an abundant life; may I use the gifts entrusted to me to make the most of Him.  Thank you Kenya for giving me a perspective on life not easily found in the comfort of the US.  

No comments:

Post a Comment