Sunday included a trip to the market...this time to buy a live chicken for dinner. We received tips from a Kenyan friend on how to pick out a good one. Look for a fat chicken. You must feel all over the chicken for good meat - the neck, the breasts, the butt. The chicken must also be "active" which portrays good health. After a few tips, we were ready to check out some chickens. I can't say that I handled these birds with much grace. One pecked at my hand which caused me to let go of her wings. She then flapped around until someone else grabbed her. I'd say that's an active one.
 |
| Checking out the chicken |
 |
| Daria displaying our chicken of choice |
Once we picked one out, we watched them kill and depluck our chicken. I struggled a little with the slitting of the throat, but once she stopped moving, it wasn't so bad. It didn't look too difficult so I am determined to do it myself sometime.
 |
| Deplucking |
 |
Now ready to remove the guts.
|
Not much longer and we were headed home with our first "live-but-now-dead-market-purchased" chicken. It's amazing how much space those feathers take up. The chicken wasn't nearly as big; nothing like chickens we buy at home. Still we were happy with our purchase. Once home, Daria and I prepared dinner for everyone...beer can chicken, rosemary & garlic potatoes, and avocado/tomato/cucumber salad.
 |
| Before going in the oven |
Yay! Everything turned out wonderfully. Sorry there's no after picture; we ate it all so quickly...very tasty. A great dinner with friends before the middle-of-the-night Super Bowl viewing. Go Packers!
No comments:
Post a Comment