Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kenya's Coast

I returned from vacation on Monday and found myself swamped with work again.  The past two days have been filled with several research hurdles, training medical students, and teaching basic life support.  While I should be preparing for another lecture, I find myself looking through my pictures and wanting another day on the coast of Kenya.

Kenya is a beautiful country with a wide range of terrains from the low coastal plains to the central highlands bisected by the Great Rift Valley and climates that range from Kakamega's rainforest to the desert of Turkana   Over the past six years, I have been able to see much of Kenya.  However, until this vacation I had never made it to the coast of Kenya and the Indian Ocean.  As the warmest ocean, you can't help but want to jump in as soon as the water rushes over your feet.  I love it!

During our stay on the coast, one of my biggest goals was to take a camel ride on the beach.  As someone interested in participating in Kenya's annual Malaral Camel Derby this August, I needed to get some experience.  I attempted to get some pointers from the camel owners but with little success - I think they may be my competition.  Nevertheless, I did enjoy some riding time on the beach and learned a few things.  Camels are really tall, much taller than I imagined.  So for the race, I need to make sure the saddle's on tight and I hold on tight; otherwise, that could be quite a fall.  Also, I was taken by surprise when the camel stood up and sat down. When standing, he quickly put his butt up in the air, launching me forward and nearly over the camel's head.  The same occurred when he sat down with his front legs first...it was quite a drop.  Thankful for my few valuable lessons learned on the beach, I am now ready for the races. 


Getting a kiss from George...only a little slober
Wow...taller than I imagined
My other favorite activity on the coast was snorkeling in the beautiful Indian Ocean.  We ventured out to the coral reef in a glass bottom boat where we jumped off the side and swam with an incredible amount of tropical fish.  The bread many of us held in our hands to feed them helped attract a large number and wide array of fish.  It was by far the best snorkeling I've done to date. 
Looking good girls!

There is so much to be thankful for every day...this trip was filled with beautiful weather, relaxing time by the pool, and good friends.  I can't help but be overwhelmed and challenged by the opportunities God has given my to travel and enjoy His creation, something that most Kenyan's will never experience or enjoy even in their own beautiful country.  Another reminder of the many undeserved blessings God has given me and my responsibility to be a good steward of these gifts.  May all of this be a source of continued encouragement and reminder of my purpose as I come back to busy and often difficult work days.  Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment