Sunday, March 27, 2011

What can you carry on your bike?

The better question in Kenya is "What can't you carry on your bike?"  The bicycle is one of the main ways of transportation, also called a boda boda.  Not only do Kenyan's transport each other around on their bikes, but many other things as well.  They are very creative in finding ways to strap various objects of any size onto the bike, front or back.  Here are a few pictures demonstrating some of the endless possibilities.


Bike carrying another bike

Need to transport your lawnmower?  Easy, strap it to your bike.
Grass for thatching the roof.
Furniture and miscellaneous objects easily fit

Stacks of wood are often seen on the back
Other objects I've seen on the back of bikes:  several large bags of charcoal, a bed, and the best ever bike cargo...a pig.  I am still disappointed that I missed out on that picture.  It was during one of my runs that I was passed by a bike with a live pig strapped to the back, squealing the entire time.  Needless to say, I now take my phone with me for such priceless photo opportunities.

So, why do we even need trucks?  Whatever it is, strap it to your bike. 

1 comment: