Monday, April 18, 2011

Giving Everything

"Take up your cross and follow me" is the call for complete surrender.  The work in Togo is a tangible example of just that.  The work is seemingly never-ending, but incredibly rewarding.  I am thankful to be a part of this ministry for the next week.

I arrived to the hospital with a warm welcome and was quickly put to work.  The full-time missionaries here were leaving within a day for a conference in Gambia, leaving the hospital to a group of short-termers, some who had never practiced medicine outside of the US.  The short-termers included myself, 2 surgeons (one of which is Bob Cropsey who started the hospital here but retired a few years ago), 1 orthopedic surgeon from College Park Church in Indy, a peds resident, and 3 medical students.  I was put in charge of all the medical patients:  medicine, pediatrics, and OB/GYN.  I certainly don't mind the responsibility; it's just a little crazy being on call every day.  Thankfully, I have some wonderful medical students that help share the work load.  One of them will be one of our EM residents next year at IU so it will be fun to be his staff at home as well.

Each day usually begins with early morning rounds (~7:30 or 8).  A couple days of week begin with devotions and prayer which I have the privilege of leading this week; it is a refreshing start to the day.  Rounds tend to be a little chaotic as emergent cases frequently interrupt the process.  My first day presented with a trauma patient who had multiple rib fractures, pneumothorax and pulmonary contusions; 2 men who were electrocuted trying to tap into a power line, a child seizing from cerebral malaria, and a seizing pregnant woman with eclampsia.  We also have a child with Beckwith Wiedemann syndrome (not sure why I seem to always see this overseas?).  An awesome variety of pathology for the first morning. 

This sweet granddaughter of a patient would cling to me on rounds, always shaking her head yes to whatever I said.  Great confirmation for me.   

Our girl with Beckwith Weidemann Syndrome
After rounding and stabilizing the new patients, I spend the remainder of the morning and afternoon in clinic.  By this time, there is usually a long line of patients on the benches outside.  After finishing clinic, I usually grab dinner before going back to the hospital for evening rounds.  In the evening, I see the new patients, re-assess the old ones, review labs from the day, and field any questions.  This usually saves me some calls during the night, allowing for a little more sleep.  My day at the hospital typically ends sometime between 9 - 11 pm, leaving me pretty exhausted and praying for a quiet night on call.

Seto (my interpreter) and me in clinic 
Despite the long days, I love working at the hospital here.  The physicians, nursing, and other staff are all committed to excellent patient care, spiritually and physically.  The Togolese nurses are especially amazing in light of my experience in other African countries.  Since being here, I haven't had to start one IV, draw one lab, give one medication, etc.  They anticipate problems, follow through with orders, and work as a team.  Everyone here is giving everything and making a difference despite the limited resources.

**Sorry these are a little late as I didn't have great internet access, so will be catching up with my Togo experience over the next couple of days. I have been sharing my experiences tonight with friends here in Kenya...we are ready to start another branch of AMPATH...Sonak has named it AMPATH To-go.

No comments:

Post a Comment