Thursday, April 28, 2011

What can you carry on your head?

Africans, especially the women, are notorious for carrying objects on their head.  They can keep a steady stride, turn around, start and stop with ease while balancing various objects on their head.  Studies have revealed that African women can carry loads up to 70% of their body weight.  Wow!  As hard-working caretakers of the home and family, women walk for miles carrying heavy objects on their head with their infant slung on their back.  Whether it be carrying large jugs of water on their head from a recent trip to the river or a large basket of food to take to the market, I wouldn't last a few seconds without madly waving my arms around for balance before spilling everything on the ground.  These women amaze me!

If this were me, my luggage would fall off backwards and take out my baby...oops.

A common site around town or in the market




One with a cooler on her head, another with a large bowl of wood

There was a line of women walking miles carrying large amounts of wood on their head
I feel like such a wimp when I have to call a taxi to take me home after a trip to the market, especially when I am passed by some of these strong African women carrying three times my load. 

No comments:

Post a Comment