The last several Sundays have been very encouraging to me. Here in Kenya, I attend Sirikwa Church which provides good doctrinal teaching and a mix of worship in both English and Swahili. Unless I bring a visitor with me, I am usually the only white person there. Sunday mornings, I wake up early to begin the 30 minute walk to church. It's a good time to spend with the Lord, preparing my heart for worship. I find myself wishing for other believers within the IU compound for fellowship, encouragement, and accountability. Over the past couple Sundays, it has been nice to have some visitors from home to attend church with me. Last week, a resident surgeon from Indiana, Aaron Abarbanell, came with me. He took some video of the singing (sadly the Swahili worship clip didn't turn out well); you can view them by clicking on his name and looking at his blog. His wife is a staff peds cardiologist and he hopes to be a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon - crazy. Anyhow, they are seeking the Lord's guidance for eventual placement on the mission field. He has also been to the hospital where I am going in Togo and was a great encouragement for my upcoming trip. It was wonderful to talk with him about the spiritual challenges of working and living here compared to other places overseas, a great encouragement to me. Thank you Lord!
May I develop at least a few good friendships with other Christians here, especially some of the Kenyans in my church. In the meantime, it is wonderful to be able to worship here. Today while singing "Najua Mkombozi wangu anaishi" (I know my Savior lives), I couldn't help but be overjoyed by the image of every tribe, tongue, and nation worshiping together one day...all because of our great God and His sacrifice. Thankful for Easter season, a time to celebrate!
Se Que Mi Salvador Vive!!! . . .can't wait till that day that we will all worship together!
ReplyDelete