Friday, January 21, 2011

Back in Kenya...Preparing for Battle

I have arrived back in Kenya and am getting adjusted to life here again.  I have moved into Hilltop, a set of homes near the IU House where the "long-termers" associated with the IU-Kenya partnershp stay.  The best part is having some space to myself, including my own bathroom.  Yay, the simple things in life! 

The biggest task of the week was getting adjusted to the time difference, leaving me with many wakeful nights.  Despite wanting to sleep during the day, I ventured to the hospital to work in Casualty and get started on my research.  Of course, I found a few implemented projects from my time in July to have gone back to their usual state of disorganization.  The emergency area was also missing more valuable equipment as people love to walk away with anything and everything.  So after a week of little sleep and frustrations in Casualty, I am taking the weekend to rest and prepare for the steps ahead as the task of developing emergency medicine here seems overwhelmingly great.  I was reminded of Ted Loder's Guerillas of Grace: Prayers for the Battle:

Heavenly Father,
grant me an ease
to breathe deeply of this moment,
this light,
this miracle of now.
Beneath the din and fury
of great movements
and harsh news
and ugent crises,
make me attentive still
to good news,
to small occasions,
and the grace of what is possible
for me to be,
to do,
to give,
to receive,
that I may miss neither my neighbor's gift
nor my enemy's need.

Thankful that I can rest in God, knowing that all things are possible with Him.  May I make the most of this opportunity:  to grow in my relationship with God, to provide the best medical care possible with limited resources, and to improve emergency care for the people of Kenya.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment