Friday, January 28, 2011

In my mind I'm a Kenyan

While running the Indianapolis mini-marathon a few years ago, another runner was wearing a shirt that caught my eye and made me smile. 


If only I could run like a Kenyan.  If I want to even try, Eldoret is the place to be.  Eldoret has produced more championship long-distance runners than any other town in the world.  Located in the Kenya Highlands at an altitude of 6840 feet, it has become a mecca for runners from around the world to train.  This has inspired several of my friends and colleagues, who have signed up to run the Kilimanjaro Half-Marathon.  As a result of peer pressure, I have signed up as well.  

I have been running with a Kenyan friend.  She used to be a marathoner but was forced to take a couple of years off due to health-related issues.  She is running again and pushing me along in the process.  On my days off, she recommended that we run twice a day...I had to draw the line there.  While I don't have enough time to adequately train for the half-marathon (5 weeks away), it will be good to give it a shot.  I can always run/walk and am mentally prepared to be last across the finish line.  If all else fails, I can default to the 5K.  While my running partner is determined to make me a Kenyan, I am sure it will only be in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. yay rose!! wish it was going to be while we were there and i'd run with you!! super excited for ya!! aren't most half-marathon plans 5 weeks?! or is it 15 weeks? i think you definitely win on the coolest mini run this year (indy mini vs kenya mini...um yeah)

    ReplyDelete