Sunday, January 23, 2011

Shopping Adventures

Shopping is always an adventure here.  Last time I was here, I searched for protective eyewear for procedures and intubations in Casualty.  At the supermarket, they presented me with several options to choose from:  goggles, tinted glasses, a snorkeling mask, and a gas mask (I apologize that I couldn't find the picture of this presentation).  Of course you all know I wanted to go with the gas mask, but didn't need anything else other than my white skin to make me stand out.  This is just an example of the diversity of products one can find in Eldoret.  Dad, they even have "Diabetic Jam" here for you...there's no reason now that you shouldn't be getting on a plane to visit. 

This weekend, I made a trip to town for groceries.  For produce, the best stop is the local outdoor markets.  It's the cheapest and freshest.

 


For everything else, it's off to the supermarket...Nakumatt.  Although I am not a big shopper, I find the place intriguing.  Of particular interest this visit were the small shopping carts.  They have rows of them outside.  I haven't quite figured out why.


I have come up with a few speculations:
   a.  Kenyan's are short.
   b.  Small carts keep you from spending too much money.
   c.  Children do the shopping here.
   d.  This is the intermediate step between the regular cart and the evolution of the basket.

So, definitely choice (a) isn't it.  I haven't noticed an abundance of children shopping.  Any other thoughts...I'm going with (d) for now.

3 comments:

  1. haha, this photo of you with the little cart makes me laugh!!! maybe they are trying to prevent one person from buying everything in the store . . . that or they got them on clearance =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to go shopping in Eldoret and use a tiny cart!!! Best picture ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I think it definitely would be hard to fit a big container of potato salad in a cart that size :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete