"There is peace all over Kenya and that is more important than the referendum." Most people are excited about the passage of the constitution this past Wednesday. The transition of this country to a democratically ruled state is a slow, laborious process that has cost many lives along the way. Thankfully, none was lost with the referendum as many were extra cautious given the horrific events of the inter-tribal warfare that occurred after the presidential election. Everyone is anticipating that the constitution will bring about unity for this nation that currently operates on such strong tribal loyalties. One can hope that the changes that have just been voted into effect will be able to staunch the gross corruption and money-hoarding that continues at the highest levels of government. Fortunately, the attempts on the part of the prime minister of Kenya to raise his yearly salary to three times that of President Obama’s have been eliminated. My biggest hope is that the constitutional amendments will further empower the women in Kenya who lead the most difficult and oppressed lives here.
During the voting, we made the most of the lockdown. Games of basketball, wiffle ball, and dodgeball were organized. Sonak (pharmacist here full time), Monica (another pharmacist), Erin (OB/GYN/global health fellow from Duke), and I then made some home-made ice cream (chocolate cookies & cream and pineapple sorbet) - yummy!! The four of us rocked it out on rock band and watched a couple of movies on Sonak's TV. Erin was skeptical of rock-band so it was funny when we couldn't tear her away from the microphone. Great for me (and everyone else) since my singing is horrible. =) It was a great time....and an enjoyable taste of home.
Three of us took a little escape in a matatu to Naiberi River & Campsite Resort today, located about 20 km from Eldoret. The journey, as always, was quite the experience. A matatu is a small, narrow van that provides much of the transportation for the people of Kenya. It has seating for 12, but that is just a suggestion. By the time we were loaded up to head toward Naiberi, we had 23 people in this matatu. For a portion of the trip, I had someone sitting in my lap. I think having this many people in the van actually might prove to be safer, serving as some type of restraint system as you can't really move at all. There aren't much in the way of road rules, or at least ones that are enforced. Although a police officer pulled us over at one point, a small payment put us back on our way. Oh, but not before he tapped on the front window at a 2 year old boy sitting on another man's lap in the front seat. The boy scooted back a bit and we got a thumbs up. I felt so much better, phew....now he's safe?!?! Aside from the car trip, Naiberi is a nice resort that I will frequent when I come back for sure at a mere $3 entry for the day.
This week I have spent some clinical time in the children's emergency area. Most of the sick kids, except trauma, are sent to this area for triage and care. As soon as I took my first step in the door, I was led to my own desk with a chair and my first patient. Amazingly, my Swahili has come a long way, enabling me to get a pretty decent history for most children. I need some help with the details, but usually get the main complaints. The children here are gorgeous....and their smiles light up the room. They are usually dressed in 3 or 4 outfits with at least one snowsuit covering it all, making the physical exam quite an exercise. Like most Kenyans, the children speak so softly and often look down when talking, making it difficult for my deaf ears to hear. Many of the children will sneak up close to me and hold my hand...it is then that I know what they really want. If I listen closely, I can hear the word - "sweeties." Sadly, I failed at having a supply of candy...not a very good mzungu (literally means aimless wanderer, but a term used for any white person).
The remainder of the week was spent in meetings with the several key people, including the Director and Dean of the Medical School, regarding the improvement of casualty and building a collaboration with IU's EM program. All of the meetings went well which was a much needed encouragement. Thank you for your prayers. It has been a good way to wrap up my time here. Now I have lots of work to get done at home in preparation for my return in January.
No comments:
Post a Comment