Monday was an encouraging day. I have been discouraged in casualty without anyone who seemingly cares or has the power to help make improvements. On Monday, things began to look up. Simiyu, a trauma surgeon, showed up while I was rounding on our observation patients. Simiyu is an enthusiastic teacher and clinician who used to be the head of casualty. He had made significant improvements (yes, it used to be worse) but due to hospital politics, was let go from his clinical duties. He still teaches emergency medicine, trauma and disaster preparedness for the medical students both here and in Nairobi. Anyhow, I had a meeting with him during my last visit in July to discuss the department and get any advice about working there. I really appreciated his excitement, encouragment, and ideas for change. I was sad that he was no longer working in casualty, especially since I was lacking a Kenyan counterpart and knowing that he would be an excellent partner committed to education and patient care.
Unbeknownst to me during my time at home, he worked it out with the hospital director to work in casualty again. He has worked out his schedule so that he will be here for my entire six months. It is such a relief and answer to prayer to have a Kenyan counterpart active in the department, working together to improve care. I also met with the chief medical officer on Monday and established a series of lectures I will be giving to all of the medical and clinical officers in casualty. A great day and a step forward.
I left the hospital overwhelmed by God's goodness, knowing that He was working things out. So thankful for the complete sovereignty, infinite wisdom, and perfect love of God - He is worthy of our trust!
Wow! What a great day! Praise the Lord for encouragement and great people He is bringing into your path.
ReplyDelete